Cash in Your Closet: Tips to Make Extra Money on eBay
It’s not a secret that I love shopping. Sometimes though, that loves turns into an overflow of clothes, shoes and accessories that don’t get worn. Whether they no longer fit my style or my thighs, these clothes usually just end up sitting around taking up valuable closet real estate. I know I’m not the only one. Right? Well recently, I decided to take those clothes shoes and accessories and make them work for me.
I decided to sell them on eBay and you know what? I made over $250 in less than a week and all I needed was my computer and a bunch of clothes and shoes I no longer wanted.
So, if you’re interested in making some extra cash from stuff you already own, here are some tips to get you started:
- A picture is worth a thousand words: Make your item look as appealing a you can by taking good quality images.
- Be as descriptive as you can: In your listing, make sure to include information like measurements (not just size), fabric content, care instructions, etc.
- Honesty is the best policy: If your item has a scuff, stain, scratch or other defect, make that very clear in your auction. On that note, you shouldn’t sell anything in bad condition or that you wouldn’t buy yourself.
- Shop n sell: Don’t have extra clothes at home? No problem! Shop local thrift stores or ask friends or family to clean out their closets and give you items they no longer wear.
- Auction or Buy: I think its best to list items as auctions with the ‘buy it now’ option for folks (like me) who don’t want to wait.
- Price is right: When considering your asking price or starting bid, consider how much you paid for the item, whether or not it’s designer or an in demand item and how much others are charging for the same or similar item. Also, remember that eBay is going to take a cut when the item sells (usually 10% of the final sale).
- Time to ship: When the sale is complete, you have plenty of shipping options and eBay/PayPal makes it pretty easy to decide how to ship. You’ll be getting feedback as a seller so make sure you ship the item in a timely fashion.
What say you? Are you ready to get online and make some extra cash? Do you have questions about how to sell on eBay?