Beauty & Hair
Build Your Beauty Bag: Makeup and Beauty Subscription Boxes
A few weeks ago I joined my friends on Good Morning Washington to talk Budget Beauty and how to build up your beauty collection on the cheap. One of the tips I shared was to try Beauty Boxes.
When it comes to beauty boxes, there are myriad options to choose from. You can sign up for monthly subscription box or grab a one time purchase if you’re not into commitment. Whichever you choose, beauty boxes are a great way to try new makeup, hair, skincare products without breaking the bank.
Below is a list of beauty boxes that I’ve either tried and loved or ones that are on my list to try. Check it out:
I just got my first Cocotique box recently and I LOVE it. It had FULL-SIZE bottles of one of my fave haircare brands and a few products from brands I hadn’t heard of before. I like the mix of familar and unfamiliar so I can discover new things.
- $25 a month
- You’ll get 5-8 full Size and deluxe sample sized beauty and lifestyle products from hair care to skincare to makeup and more!
I haven’t tried Ipsy yet but they’re on my ‘to try’ list.
- $10 a month
- Complete your beauty profile and receive 5 beauty products tailored to your answers
I was subscribed to Juleps nail box eons ago but haven’t tried the beauty box yet. The nail subscription was good so I’m sure the beauty subscription is legit too.
- $19.99 – $39.99 a month (depending on your subscription)
- Each Julep Beauty Box includes new beauty, skincare and/or limited-run nail colors. Subscribers have the option to customize their beauty box each month by picking exactly what they want, upgrade to a curated box, and/or select add on products at an exclusive Maven-only price
I was subscribed to Sephoras Play! box for a few months last year. I enjoyed most of the products I received but I canceled the subscription because I felt like many of the products (mostly hair products) I received didn’t work for women of color, specifically those of us with natural hair.
- $10.00 a month
- Every month you’ll get a curated selection of new and best-selling products, from makeup to hair care to skincare to fragrance.
*BirchBox, Macy’s and Allure are all on my ‘to try’ list.
- $10 a month
- Get a personalized mix of makeup, hair, skincare, and fragrance samples a from both prestige and niche brands. Get $1 back in loyalty points (and free shipping) for every $10 you spend when you purchase full-size versions of your fave samples the BirchBox Shop.
- $15 a month
- You’ll get 5 deluxe beauty samples (and a bonus), a cute pouch and $5 off your next beauty purchase.
- $15 a month
- Top-trending, editor-tested makeup, and beauty picks with a $50-$90 value. A mini-mag with tips, shortcuts, and step-by-step tutorials. A sleek, chic and reusable pouch in limited-edition hues. Free shipping
The Target Beauty Box is easily my favorite. I love that it’s not a subscription so I can buy or not based on if a box has products I’m interested in trying. They sometimes also have boxes specific to men and certain holidays. Over the Christmas holiday there were several different boxes that made for dope gifts.
- One-time purchase, usually around $5 – $7
- Every month, Target launches at least one new themed box of beauty or grooming samples. Shipping is free and it usually includes a coupon for a discount on your purchase of the full sized items.
Curl Box has been on my radar FOREVER but I’m so lazy about my hair I really only use a handful of products and they work fine so, if it ain’t broke… But you can’t deny how dope this brand is so they make the list just because.
- $20 a month
- Receive 4 or more quality hair product samples from established brands and really great up and coming brands
What say you? Are you subscribed to any beauty boxes? Do you have a favorite?