Beauty & Hair
Build Your Beauty Bag: Makeup and Beauty Subscription Boxes
A few weeks ago I joined my friends on Good Morning Washington to talk Budget Beauty and how to build up your beauty collection on the cheap. One of the tips I shared was to try Beauty Boxes.
When it comes to beauty boxes, there are myriad options to choose from. You can sign up for monthly subscription box or grab a one time purchase if you’re not into commitment. Whichever you choose, beauty boxes are a great way to try new makeup, hair, skincare products without breaking the bank.
Below is a list of beauty boxes that I’ve either tried and loved or ones that are on my list to try. Check it out:
I just got my first Cocotique box recently and I LOVE it. It had FULL-SIZE bottles of one of my fave haircare brands and a few products from brands I hadn’t heard of before. I like the mix of familar and unfamiliar so I can discover new things.
- $25 a month
- You’ll get 5-8 full Size and deluxe sample sized beauty and lifestyle products from hair care to skincare to makeup and more!
Ipsy Glam Bag
I haven’t tried Ipsy yet but they’re on my ‘to try’ list.
- $10 a month
- Complete your beauty profile and receive 5 beauty products tailored to your answers
Julep Beauty Box
I was subscribed to Juleps nail box eons ago but haven’t tried the beauty box yet. The nail subscription was good so I’m sure the beauty subscription is legit too.
- $19.99 – $39.99 a month (depending on your subscription)
- Each Julep Beauty Box includes new beauty, skincare and/or limited-run nail colors. Subscribers have the option to customize their beauty box each month by picking exactly what they want, upgrade to a curated box, and/or select add on products at an exclusive Maven-only price
Play! by Sephora
I was subscribed to Sephoras Play! box for a few months last year. I enjoyed most of the products I received but I canceled the subscription because I felt like many of the products (mostly hair products) I received didn’t work for women of color, specifically those of us with natural hair.
- $10.00 a month
- Every month you’ll get a curated selection of new and best-selling products, from makeup to hair care to skincare to fragrance.
*BirchBox, Macy’s and Allure are all on my ‘to try’ list.
- $10 a month
- Get a personalized mix of makeup, hair, skincare, and fragrance samples a from both prestige and niche brands. Get $1 back in loyalty points (and free shipping) for every $10 you spend when you purchase full-size versions of your fave samples the BirchBox Shop.
Macy’s Beauty Box
- $15 a month
- You’ll get 5 deluxe beauty samples (and a bonus), a cute pouch and $5 off your next beauty purchase.
Allure Beauty Box
- $15 a month
- Top-trending, editor-tested makeup, and beauty picks with a $50-$90 value. A mini-mag with tips, shortcuts, and step-by-step tutorials. A sleek, chic and reusable pouch in limited-edition hues. Free shipping
Target Beauty Box
The Target Beauty Box is easily my favorite. I love that it’s not a subscription so I can buy or not based on if a box has products I’m interested in trying. They sometimes also have boxes specific to men and certain holidays. Over the Christmas holiday there were several different boxes that made for dope gifts.
- One-time purchase, usually around $5 – $7
- Every month, Target launches at least one new themed box of beauty or grooming samples. Shipping is free and it usually includes a coupon for a discount on your purchase of the full sized items.
Curl Box has been on my radar FOREVER but I’m so lazy about my hair I really only use a handful of products and they work fine so, if it ain’t broke… But you can’t deny how dope this brand is so they make the list just because.
- $20 a month
- Receive 4 or more quality hair product samples from established brands and really great up and coming brands
What say you? Are you subscribed to any beauty boxes? Do you have a favorite?
Let’s chat in the comments or on social! Insta | FB | Twitter
I’m really picky with my makeup so having random pieces is kinda “eh” to me, but the more I see these being advertised, the more interested I get. I would definitely take advantage of the Sephora Box!
I have tried several of these and I agree Target is the best deal out there. I really like when they curate boxes for women of color.
Stacie recently posted…How I use Witch Hazel in My Skincare Routine
You’ve tried a lot of boxes! IVe tried the curlbox subscription a couple of times now, and it’s worth it! I’m the type that finds a product and just sticks to it though.
I am working to get my beauty situation together. I am not there yet, but this is a great way to do it. I had no idea so many brands offered a box.
This was good information because I had no idea that Target had Beauty Boxes. I’m gonna have to subscribe because I love anything from Target. I considered the Sephora beauty box, but I have no idea why I didn’t subscribe. That may be another one imI will invest in. Thank you!!
Wait, Target has one? Lawd, I don’t need to give them another DIME of my money. It’s cool that they have them for men too. I think I want to try that Sephora one too. Didn’t know they had one. I’m slippin slippin! Thanks for sharing!
I haven’t tried any of the boxes you profiled, but the Target box is most likely what I’d try. The price and no commitment make it appealing to me.
Joyce Brewer recently posted…How to Plan a Kid-Focused Noon Years Eve Party